I used primarily Riley Blake fabrics. I was so happy to find the Peak Hour fabric line, as it saved me from having to come up with car appliques on my own. Instead, I used my method of sewing the outline of the car to a piece of muslin, right sides together. Then you cut a slit in the muslin, turn the car right-side out, and then trim the muslin to just a quarter-inch seam allowance. Then you can applique the car onto the quilt-top! First I did hand-stitching, but then I top-stitched the cars on by machine for added security. When I was quilting the blanket, I added some quilting to the window of the car for even additional security.
I did double binding. I love the framing effect, and it’s a nice way to make machine-stitching the binding look attractive.
Abbey’s family just moved back into their home after a year away. Their house had extensive, heart-breaking damage due to a terrible flood (like – seven feet of standing water kinda terrible), but her husband and their family and friends resurrected their place and things are looking bright! Hope these quilts bring smiles to a family that has endured a lot, and deserves a break!