I was able to finish this quilt for my mother-in-law. It was supposed to be a birthday present (in September) but due to first-trimester sluggish-sickness it got bumped till Christmas. Thank goodness I had used Amy’s One Thing, One Week Challenge to get organized.
So without further ado, here is the original post about this quilt (including its inspiration – a print by Marca-Relli), and here are some pictures of the final product:
And here’s the back:
For the quilting, I did straight-line detailing, using the same color of thread as the fabric for each designated area. I used invisible thread for the bobbin. I was really nervous about using invisible thread, but it worked out great! I didn’t even really have to adjust my tension.
I had another first by machine sewing the binding. I sewed the binding to the back of the quilt first, and then folded it over and machine top-stitched it down on the front. I used my invisible thread again for the bobbin, which I think is necessary if you’re going to use this technique. It definitely isn’t as neat as hand-stitching, but it is more secure, and it certainly is faster (which was required).
This quilt really wins the prize for not having any major screw-ups. The worst thing that happened was that I miscounted how many of the beige colored blocks I needed, and had to quick assemble three of them before completing the quilt-top. I was able to pull them together in an hour, and it only took that long because I had virtually ran-out of fabric and had to make tiny scraps work.
I am absolutely in love with the mosaic styling of this quilt. I may be the only one; reactions have been mixed. I’m definitely fantasizing about some monochromatic quilts in my future.