I’m so excited to show you all my latest queen-sized quilt. It’s called “Annie’s Tiles.”
Read on for the whole story behind this blanket…
This project started with a picture of a tile floor…
Being a little entrepreneur trooper, I reached out to the lady who took this picture and said that if she (Annie) was interested, I could make her a quilt featuring this design. After a couple emails back and forth, we had a deal!
So I started drafting the pattern. First we needed to think about a traditional cathedral windows pattern…
Bulk up those circles into hoops.
Annie wanted the colors inverted from the tile floor, so I did a little coloring in Photoshop to get a feel for the final design:
So then it was time to get cracking and make a template. I can not emphasize enough what a stupid idiot I was trying to make this work. Turns out, if you want to make a template with a whole bunch of curves at precise measurements, you best get yourself to the hardware store and buy a FLIPPIN’ COMPASS.
I made 6 x 7 = 42 circles.
For all the trouble I had making the template, I thought this whole quilt was going to be a big challenge. However, once I got the hang of sewing the block pieces, this actually came together really painlessly! The blocks lined up easily and the quilting was fast and without complications. I did stippled quilting with a variegated teal-blue thread on top and a steely grey/blue for the bobbin.
I pieced together some Amy Butler for the backing. Look at that uninterrupted repeated pattern! Go me!
I just stuck with Kona Royal Blue for the binding. I did bias-cut binding and applied with machine.
After some show-and-tell at the next Ann Arbor Modern Quilt Guild, this will be off to it’s new home! It’s Queen Sized – about 90″ x 98″