It’s 22 degrees in the Ann Arbor area today. My coat had a broken zipper and I was debating whether to attempt a fix or just buy a new jacket. But it is warm and fits well, and it turns out JoAnn Fabrics had heavy duty zippers in 26″ lengths.
I had to pop-off the male snaps in order to fix the zipper. I put buttons to cover the holes. A bit of nonsensical aesthetics.
A friend says the local cleaners would charge about $65 for a similar zipper replacement.
$6 zipper + 1.5 hours of my time (always an existential dilemma placing a worth on my time…) = maybe $24? I am very happy to know how to manage these tasks.
Just a quick post to show this baby quilt I made for a friend.
I framed a solid square with fun prints – most of them from Made By Rae’s line Lotus Pond. Three sides but leaving a little corner stone allowed for me to embrace my crippling neuroses and do some pattern matching.
Cute little quilted windows.
See the little snail HSTs in the sashing? I like ‘em.
It was almost a shame to fold this adorable Japanese fabric into binding.
Yuwa Cotorienne Fabric ‑ Tanuki Hide and Seek Blue and White Stripes
And a happy little embroidered label. I made this circle using my sew-an-turn applique method.
Filed under Fabric, Quilting
I was very honored to have my Folded Flock quilt in the Modern Quilt Guild Showcase at the International Quilt Market & Festival in Houston this past couple of weeks.
Hello, quilt! You look creased. Live and learn.
A special thanks to Christa Watson who photographed all of the quilts in the showcase and posted them on her site. Check ‘em out.
If you’d like to get a peek at this quilt in person, I do believe you’ll be seeing it at Quilt Con! And if you’d like to meet me I’ll probably be hiding behind my quilt listening for compliments and writing down the names of the haters.
Lastly, if you’d like to learn more about this quilt – You can see a post HERE and another one more about the process of assembling the quilt top HERE.
A group within the Ann Arbor Modern Quilt Guild is working together on a charity quilt featuring improvisational arrow blocks. Today I grabbed some scrap fabric and experimented with a piecing strategy.
For my group, these are not instructions and certainly feel free to create your arrow blocks however you’d like! But let me offer this Improv Arrow Quilt Block Tutorial just in case it’s useful.
Read more for the tutorial.
This little quilt has been 4 years in the making! That’s insane!
My dear friend asked if I wanted to make this Sixth Time’s the Charm Quilt from the book Handmade Beginnings.
We used the Stitched in Color alternate piecing method and a shared color scheme routed in orange and teal. Separately, we each made 6 triangles; then we swapped them! We both ended up with lovely quilts.
This was a gift for my sons’ preschool (which has Sunshine in the title) and they are using it to help round up the little ones for morning meetings! Everyone grab an edge of the quilt, it’s time to pay attention and talk about our day : )
Ooooo it’s been a busy summer. I made this quilt a while ago and have been meaning to blog about it forever. But then this morning I got some great news – Folded Flock is going to be in the International Quilt Show’s Modern Quilt Guild showcase in Houston!
This quilt features the Botanics line by Carolyn Friedlander. The quilting was done on my walking foot. One large arrow shape echoed many times.
This quilt was inspired by origami cranes and this rug designed by Lesley Barnes. I sketched out my idea on the computer. Birds and arrows.
I made the wings, head, body for my birds and used extra background fabric to flesh them out into rectangular blocks. I’ve made another post – here – describing more about how I slabbed together fabric to make my bird and arrow blocks! Thanks for stopping by!
This is my technique for joining nonuniform pieces together to form a workable rectangle when making a quilt. I want to show you how I started combining my birds and triangle blocks together to make large rectangles that could be pieced together for Folded Flock.
Here is a group of three birds and a cluster of triangle blocks that I wanted to piece together. I already joined the dark blue and the minty colored birds, adding a strip of fabric first to the right of the blue bird so it’d be the same width as the mint. I also added a strip of white between the two birds so they would have a bit more space to soar.
With an intention to stagger the birds and to ensure that the lower row of triangles could fit flush beneath the mint bird, I added fabric to the top of the orange bird and additional fabric to the yellow triangle set.
I joined the orange bird with the yellow triangle base to the other birds and trimmed the fabrics.
When joining these pieces, I looked for places where I could match seams. The below aligned perfectly because I am good with the cosmos and luck is sometimes on my side. I learned from Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts that having seams either match or decidedly NOT match (meaning 1/2″ or more “off”) is the best way to ensure an eye-pleasing quilt.
I needed to add a bit more fabric to the bottom row of triangles, and I matched the seams so that the white and blue triangle block could align directly below the yellow and yellow block. An additional strip of fabric was joined to the bottom.
Lots more information can be found in my original post here.
So there you go! This quilt was designed with the intention that I would be adding light printed fabrics to my original pieces in order to join my elements together as a whole, and this is how I did that!