Something different this time around. This quilt started in Sherri Lynn Wood’s Scrap Doodling class at Quiltcon 2015. The improvisational process created the first tree shape, and I chose to continue making these fun blocks. I think I officially beige-d myself out and reached for blacks and blues for the background, and bright, fun tree colors. It was a bit tricky to photograph the tones, but here are a couple of shots:
All quilted on my home machine. The trees are left unquilted.
Thanks for looking!
Here is a quilt I’ve finally photographed called “Dunes”!
It is a clamshell quilt, but with splashes of color inserted into the scallop-shapes! To make this I improvisationally pieced some curved color splashes into swaths of a low-volume fabric, and then used a 15″ template I ordered from Baycreek Quilting Products to cut-out the shapes that I called “dunes.” I used the assembly instructions as written in Latifah Saafir’s Glam Clam Quilt pattern.
The quilting designs vary by dune – some are pebbled, some are straight lines, some are scallops, and some are echo-ing curved lines. I did each using free-motion quilting on my home machine and I left the color splashes un-quilted.
This quilt was all machine-pieced; no applique today. It measures 68″ x 68″.
Thanks for looking!
For a fun baby quilt, I made an Aerial Grove quilt. Pattern by Carolyn Friedlander. My blogs were double-plus wonky, and I used my sew-and-turn applique method rather than needle-turn. I hand appliqued the blobs onto the patchwork strips.
My quilting was also inspired by Carolyn, but I let my lines spazz-out. I also only made the colorful “grove” – not the larger neutral border that is featured in the pattern. A baby doesn’t need that much white space!
These pictures were taken a couple weeks ago, during another 20 degree cold-snap here in Michigan. Apologies for the grainy texture and color-weirdness.
Just a quick post to show this baby quilt I made for a friend.
I framed a solid square with fun prints – most of them from Made By Rae’s line Lotus Pond. Three sides but leaving a little corner stone allowed for me to embrace my crippling neuroses and do some pattern matching.
Cute little quilted windows.
See the little snail HSTs in the sashing? I like ’em.
It was almost a shame to fold this adorable Japanese fabric into binding.
Yuwa Cotorienne Fabric ‑ Tanuki Hide and Seek Blue and White Stripes
And a happy little embroidered label. I made this circle using my sew-an-turn applique method.
Filed under Fabric, Quilting
Ooooo it’s been a busy summer. I made this quilt a while ago and have been meaning to blog about it forever. But then this morning I got some great news – Folded Flock is going to be in the International Quilt Show’s Modern Quilt Guild showcase in Houston!
This quilt features the Botanics line by Carolyn Friedlander. The quilting was done on my walking foot. One large arrow shape echoed many times.
This quilt was inspired by origami cranes and this rug designed by Lesley Barnes. I sketched out my idea on the computer. Birds and arrows.
I made the wings, head, body for my birds and used extra background fabric to flesh them out into rectangular blocks. I’ve made another post – here – describing more about how I slabbed together fabric to make my bird and arrow blocks! Thanks for stopping by!
This is my technique for joining nonuniform pieces together to form a workable rectangle when making a quilt. I want to show you how I started combining my birds and triangle blocks together to make large rectangles that could be pieced together for Folded Flock.
Here is a group of three birds and a cluster of triangle blocks that I wanted to piece together. I already joined the dark blue and the minty colored birds, adding a strip of fabric first to the right of the blue bird so it’d be the same width as the mint. I also added a strip of white between the two birds so they would have a bit more space to soar.
With an intention to stagger the birds and to ensure that the lower row of triangles could fit flush beneath the mint bird, I added fabric to the top of the orange bird and additional fabric to the yellow triangle set.
I joined the orange bird with the yellow triangle base to the other birds and trimmed the fabrics.
When joining these pieces, I looked for places where I could match seams. The below aligned perfectly because I am good with the cosmos and luck is sometimes on my side. I learned from Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts that having seams either match or decidedly NOT match (meaning 1/2″ or more “off”) is the best way to ensure an eye-pleasing quilt.
I needed to add a bit more fabric to the bottom row of triangles, and I matched the seams so that the white and blue triangle block could align directly below the yellow and yellow block. An additional strip of fabric was joined to the bottom.
Lots more information can be found in my original post here.
So there you go! This quilt was designed with the intention that I would be adding light printed fabrics to my original pieces in order to join my elements together as a whole, and this is how I did that!
Here is a quilt I made for my mother for Christmas! I call it Woodlands in Winter. They live in the forest and run the Woodlands Sawmill.
Improv trees on a sea of mixed neutrals. I was inspired by Lovely Design’s Lovely Little Forest quilt from the Purl Bee.
Walking foot quilting in flowing lines, inspired by Debbie’s Joy of Simplicity pillow seen here.
I bought a white-on-white bundle from Pink Castle Fabrics and used a lot of Kona Bone for the background. It measures something like 80″ x 75″.
One tree fell down. Time to harvest its lumber!
Read on for a tutorial on how to make these wonky trees and plan for the final layout…